Call Our Toll-Free Number: 1300 302 994

Fire Rated Doors Prevent Fires Due To Electricity

A lot of fires were found out to be from lightning and defects in appliances manufacturing but there are many that were attributed to the faulty installation of wiring, misuse of circuits by overloading them and also overloaded extension wires. A large percentage of these fires were caused by inappropriate wiring of the home electrical system.

This can be due to homeowners wanting to do the wiring personally but having no actual background on how to the work properly. Although people can place fire rated doors in their interiors, failing to hire a professional electrician can have lifelong repercussions and it may be cause for loss of your dream home and even place at risk the lives of the members of the family when fire will unfortunately break out in the house.

Knowing the perils of wrong placement of electrical wiring and overloaded circuits, you still have a choice on preventing this to be the cause of a home catastrophe, with the goal of keeping your family safe. Loss of property can be recovered in time, but the loss of life cannot. You will forever be holding that regretful feeling that you did nothing to make your electrical system fail safe.

To enumerate it, an electrical fire can be due to a lot of reason such as:

Loose connection – When wires are loosely connected, it creates resistance to current, and resulting difficulty in the flow of current.  Electrical connections can become loose when they are particularly fastened with a screw or a bolt. Possible causes of loosening are vibration as well as the warming and cooling conditions that the terminal goes through. Despite the presence of fire rated doors, your structure can still be gorged by fire when not carely.

Overloaded conductors or cables – It is common to have extension wires in homes. When a circuit is abused by plugging a lot of appliances to the extension cord, the circuit becomes overloaded and may cause a spark that will create a larger fire when the spark attracts fuel around it and oxygen is also available. An extension cord should not be used as a main outlet since a lot of appliances plugged into a cord can have heavy wattage that may be too much for the wire to supply. Installing fire resistant doors may not prevent an overloaded circuit to cause a fire but it will allow people inside the house to safely pass through it if the fire is not that big yet.

Proximity of flammable materials to electrical sources – When you place flammable products like hair sprays, nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol or paint thinner, these can easily catch fire and these materials can ignite in a flash and will burn anything that it finds on its way. never place these products near electrical plugs since this will ruin everything when it catches fire.

Inferior quality of materials are used in building the house – When you order your electrical wiring bundle, do not always go for the cheapest since you will be compromising your future. Look for quality rather than cost and ask an electrician to identify which wire products are efficient and will provide safety.

Make sure that you are knowledgeable enough with electric circuit if you insist in doing the wirings personally. Should you be deficient in basic knowledge and skills in building safe circuits, better leave the work to the certified electricians.



Scanline Fire Doors is fully licensed and insured to perform fire door inspections which are compulsory in Queensland. They must be inspected and maintained in accordance with AS1851, Part 17-2005 and therefore the Queensland Building Fire Safety Regulation 2008.

Speak To Us